Monday, March 2, 2009

The Local Report - Local

5.3 Miles, 8 minutes, from my home in Atwater Village.

After reading about it in the Los Angeles Times, and because its concept is all about staying local, Robert and I decided to check out a new restaurant this weekend. In fact it’s even called ‘Local’ and as stated on the menu it is ‘committed to using locally sourced, organic ingredients whenever possible’. In the Los Angeles Times story, chef and owner Jason Michaud said that he’s made sure the ingredients he uses are from within a 300-mile radius. Not exactly 100 miles but a good start. Michaud only uses organic meat, cage-free eggs and free-range chicken. The goal is sustainable, locally produced food and there seems to be a national movement slowly evolving with restaurants like Local leading the way.

The menu is straightforward, no high cuisine here but that’s as it should be. Our meals were uncomplicated yet flavorful. We both opted for the Mixed Greens Salad with Avocado – the treats in this dish were the roasted tomatoes and the golden beets – the beets cooked perfectly and tasting slightly of the earth the way they should. Robert ordered the Slow Roasted Heritage Pork Sloppy Joe which came with what looked like homemade pickles piled on a homemade bun. The pork was delicious and reminded me of cochinita pibil, the slow roasted Mexican pork dish that we ate on our visit to the Yucatan Peninsula. I ordered the Niman Ranch Pork Chop with Mashed Potatoes and Currants. The chop was cooked to perfection. Full of flavor, juicy, and just amazing. I was reminded why Niman meats are considered top flight. It was one of the best pork chops I’d eaten in years. The cooked currants on the side, sweetened but still nicely acidic, were the perfect complement to the pork.

The rest of the menu includes a mixture of vegetarian dishes along with pork, lamb and fish. A few I'd like to try on a next visit are the Albondigas Burger, the Braised Lamb and Greens with French Fries, the Osso Bucco Style Braised Pork Shank on Brioche. If in a vegetarian mood the Tofu Chili with Cheddar Cheese and Onions, the Vegan Tempeh Sloppy Joe with Soy Mozzarella or the Quinoa Burger might do the trick. The breakfast and lunch menus are similar and have some of the same dishes on them as the dinner menu -- one stand out on the lunch menu: Spicy Fries with Ranch – a shout out to junk food? Why not.

I’ll be going back to eat at Local again in support of what they are trying to do and because I liked the meal I had.

Bon appétit.


Local
2943 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026
323-662-4740

Photo Credit: Robert Guerrero


Local on Urbanspoon

Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

  1. Hey Charles,

    Just checked out your blog for the first time and may I say "Well done!" I love the concept behind this, reading your stories about eating locally, and recollections of your days in France. Simply fantastic.

    It's hard to be a localvore, especially in big cities. So to do it successfully and share your sources so others know where to go - that's giving back in a big big way.

    Looking forward to reading more posts, Charles.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I just moved into a new neighborhood in Boston. I thought I was going to have to travel forever to find someplace nice to eat. Turns out the street right next to mine is packed with whatever kind of food you can think of. I guess I just need to know my own area better.

    I also like how the restaurant itself was called Local. Like they read your mind or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gee, I wish I lived on your side of the world so I could check this out personally, really great to hear about creative, conscious business practises. Congratualations on a great sounding blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I found your blog through Foodbuzz. I'm enjoying it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Smokeydoke. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete